Monday, January 25, 2010

Brrrrr!

You know you're from Michigan when your clothes freeze on the clothesline.

Oh wait, that can be in Turkey too. Yes, it's THAT cold here. Not quite what I signed up for. I guess we have to pay for our awesome weather in December and the first half of January though, don't we. Thankfully, Chris bought a space heater for the bedroom, so we're not freezing at night anymore. Last night when he went in to plug it in, the thermometer said it was 57 degrees in there! And that was only in the evening! So yeah, I'm very happy to get another source of heat. Hate to think about the electricity bill, but love to be warm!

On the bug front, things are progressing. We actually saw one so we know for sure that's what we're dealing with. We also haven't seen much evidence of migration outside the bedroom, which makes my life much easier. (I was dreading taking down ALL the drapes and washing them every 3rd day, especially since you all know how close together the buildings are here. And curtains are good insulation.) We've been spraying Raid for all we're worth and *knocking on wood* have only gotten a few new bites. YAY!!! Doing laundry is really getting old though.

On the work front (I guess I'm covering our lives in this post, sorry if it's boring), Chris is beginning his new seven-week module today. He has level C, which is pre-intermediate. Basically the level of students he just finished up with. He is teaching skills, which means instead of planning 20 hours of lessons and teaching them once to the same class, he will plan 6 hours of lessons and teach them to three classes. So that should make his life a lot easier. That is our hope anyways. My students are on their two week semester break, so I'm basically out of a job for 2 weeks. I have a whopping 4.5 hours scheduled for this week. Not sure if I can handle that heavy of a workload. I may have to speak to my boss about it... :) Things will change a bit for me after the break though. First, I will be on contract, so there will be steady income each week. (Then all the slacker students who don't show up don't cost me money!) I will also be working for ten hours per week in a school, teaching the teachers there how to teach TOEFL. (Say that five times really fast.) So that will be a new challenge, since I've only been teaching TOEFL for six months. Ah well, fake it til I make it. Or just fake it and forget about making it.

I received the sad news from one of my very good friends that she is deserting me for Istanbul. Although I am incredibly happy for her ( I mean, what kind of crap friend would I be if I wasn't?!), I also am VERY sad to see her go, and a little jealous of all the delicious food she gets to eat there. Istanbul has such exotic dishes as Indian, Thai, Chinese, and Mexican. And you KNOW she will call to rub it in a little. (I wouldn't be friends with someone who wouldn't do such a thing, since it would make me look bad when I did it.) So she will be moving next month or in March, and I think all the friends here will miss her. We love you, Jaime! And keep blogging so I can steal your posts again.

Well, I hear my washer spinning out. If I want our blanket for tonight, as well as sheets and pillows, I should probably go take care of that. Hope you all are doing well and staying warm! We miss you and July can't come soon enough (for several reasons)!

1 comment:

  1. It has been so long, I just became a follower of your blog, look how long it takes me to do things.It sounds like life has been really interesting for you and Chris. What an adventure you both are on. I hope that you both found someone to do your hair as well as I did ha ha!! Hopefully things get a little warmer for you guys 57 is way to cold to sleep in. Take care-Stephanie

    ReplyDelete