Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ahhh, fresh air

So we made it out of the apartment last Sunday. Finally. You know how even when the weather turns awesome, it's so easy to comment on how awesome it is while you sit inside your apartment/house/office? Well, that has been us for the last week. So we decided we'd visit Kadifekale, or the Velvet Castle. We can see it from our apartment (I think most of Izmir can see it, since it's on a mountain) and have been thinking since July that we should see it. The most interesting things there are (a) the walls, which were constructed in Hellenistic times, (b) the views of Izmir and (c)...well, actually, I think it's just a and b.

It was fun, although I have kind of gotten used to fitting in and not being noticed so much in downtown Izmir, and apparently the kids there can pick out tourists from a mile away, because we were hassled every step of our way. It's difficult because you don't know if the kids just want to practice their English, are asking for money, are trying to sell you stuff, or are trying to pick your pockets. And I hate being mean or rude to anyone, so I think that I encourage them by acknowledging them. Sorry, Chris.

Ooooh, funny (and kind of gross) story of our trip there. Pretty easy trip, just 2 buses. But anyways, we're on the second bus and Chris had gotten up to give his seat to a really sweet old man who had been shopping for fruits and vegetables at the bazaar. Suddenly, I feel something crawling up my calf. I kept thinking (hoping!) that it was just my jeans brushing against my legs as the bus went over bumps, but no. The seats are really crowded, so I couldn't move much, but I manage to pinch my jeans between my fingers, and something totally smushed, then oozed. EEEEEEEEE! I seriously had to consciously force myself not to start shrieking, since I didn't want to have everyone look at me. But OMG, gross!!!! I kept my feet off the floor for the rest of the trip. Worse yet, when I got off the bus (on wobbly legs b/c I had had them lifted up for 10 minutes) and rolled up my pant leg, there was no sign of the bug! Ewww, ewww, ewwww.

Ok, now that your skin is crawling, let's get back to the castle. Just a few more random details, then I'll just let the pictures do the talking. Oh wait, you all will have to nag Chris to get pictures put up. So, the castle was constructed during the Hellenistic period, the cistern system (way cool) was constructed during the Roman era and then renovated during the Byzantine period, and there are also ruins of a Byzantine chapel. The most exciting and impressive part was the view though, as you will see.

Otherwise, things are going well, although work is picking up for both of us and we haven't had much time to travel. Work and the rain. At least the temperature is warmer, and we don't have bedbugs anymore *knocking on wood* so life is looking up. We'll be going to Istanbul for the first weekend in March, and hopefully more pictures and blogging will follow.

As usual, we miss you all! Keep in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment