Sunday, January 17, 2010

EWWWWWWW!!!!

Bed bugs!

Yes, that's right. And while the logical left side of my brain says that this could just as easily happen in the USA, that there are exterminators in Turkey, and that it's not that bad (at least it will make a good story, right?), the emotional right brain has been screaming with disgust for about 2 days, drowning out all logic. Researching on the internet isn't helping matters, since mostly what we read either (a) grosses me out further- they LIVE in my mattress, and only come up a couple hours before dawn to crawl over me and bite- (GROSS!!!! EEEEW, I itch just thinking about it, and the couch looks so good), or (b) focus on how hard it is to get rid of them, with the only option really being an exterminator, and even then, not an easy (i.e. cheap) task. Great. For those of you who are wondering, simply washing the linens doesn't work (it has nothing to do with being dirty, you all know my housekeeping isn't THAT bad!), nor does replacing the mattress. We need chemicals, people!

So how did we acquire these new little pets, you ask? (I requested a kitten or a puppy, not bugs!!!) GREAT question. We have no idea. We haven't been to a sketchy hotel lately (Pammukale was a while ago, people, I've already thought about it), we haven't had friends over or stayed at anyone's house, we don't have pets, nor wild animals roaming in our apartment... All I know is that two days ago, I went to bed fine, and woke up scratching. Yesterday I had new bites to scratch, and today I have even more souvenirs. Lucky girl, I know. You're all writhing with jealousy, aren't you. Or are you squirming because you're imagining being bitten by bugs while you sleep?

So if anyone comments, PLEASE don't tell me stories that (a) will further gross me out or (b) detail how hard it is to get rid of them. A little sympathy and comfort for my whining would be good. That and a care package of calamine lotion...

3 comments:

  1. Ok, not going to tell you a gross story, because I know I wouldn't want to hear one. But I will tell you that I had a friend who had bedbugs - so it does happen in the US! She never told me what she did to get rid of them, probably extermination. But I know you guys will work it out soon! I would send the calamine, but by the time it got there the bugs WILL be gone! There's some optimism for you!

    Love you guys.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I love your optimism! We are crossing our fingers that you are right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! Not bed bugs! If it's any consolation, I once got bitten by them in a perfectly nice hotel in Le Claire Iowa on the banks of the beautiful Mississippi river. Not pleasant. But thanks to open borders they are, indeed, everywhere.

    Any chance you can rent a steamer? Said to be very effective. If that fails, I'd try something like rum. Lots of it. Every night. Good luck kids.

    Aunt Jo

    ReplyDelete