Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hagia Sophia

Today we walked the whole 1 block to Hagia Sophia (pronounced aya sophia, btw) to check it out. This has been a place I have wanted to visit ever since becoming interested in ancient history. Having it so close to our hotel is completely awesome, I kind of can't wrap my mind around it.

First, just a little history for those of you who don't know the significance of this building. (And I'm just going from memory here, so there aren't any definitive dates or anything here.) It has been built 4 times, the most recent during the reign of the Roman emperor Justinian as a place of worship for Christians. (Folklore says he looked at it when it was finished and declared he had outdone Soloman.) When the Muslims conquered Constantinople, they were so impressed by the structure that they spared it, adding minarets and converting it to a mosque. Christian symbols and mosaics are alongside Islamic caligraphy and art (after they've been uncovered, of course). For over a thousand years it was the largest place of worship in the world. It's main dome (there are several all over the structure) has become the face of Istanbul. So basically it's a very cool, very ancient place.

Ok, enough facts, now my impressions. (I'm pretty sure Chris will post later with his.) I was a little let down, to be honest, and I felt terrible for that feeling. It seemed to me that while having some very very beautiful features, it had an empty feeling. (NOT for lack of tourists there, trust me!) There were a lot of bare walls, and really nothing there except walls, pillars, and tourists. It would almost be similar to ancient ruins, except that they're working so hard to preserve it. A bit of a different feel. The main dome which I had read so much about was under renovation, with scaffolding going up the several stories to the top. While I am definitely glad that they are working to preserve this building, it did impede our full appreciation for it.

I wasn't completely UN-impressed though, please let me assure you! There are mosaics on some of the upper story walls that are thousands of years old and absolutely gorgeous! The stone in the building is also absolutely beautiful. Slab after gigantic slab of marble, granite, and other stones that I have no idea what they were but even prettier than marble. And it just went on and on and on. We also were able to see the Emperor's door, which during Byzantine times, only the Emperor was able to use. We saw where the Empress would have observed the religious proceedings from her specific location. The caligraphy and designs decorating walls, ceilings, and carving on pillars were exquisite. I was in awe and can finally understand how skilled workers could have spent their whole careers constructing and decorating this building. I would still strongly recommend anyone visiting here to take the time and see it. It is like nothing else you will see in your life.

After a nap, I am ready to go and find some food. I haven't eaten since breakfast at 11, and it is now almost 5. Breakfast was fun though, it was on the roof of our hotel, surrounded by potted plants, and consisted of bread with butter, jam, and a soft cheese, fresh FRESH tomatoes (Mom, you would LOVE them!) and cucumbers, a hard boiled egg, and fresh black olives, complete with black tea. Absolutely delicious and light.

Ok, there are an Australian couple who needs to use a computer and I have offered mine. I will try to get Chris to try to upload pictures tonight and I will post again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I love the excitement and joy exuding from you cousins!! Have you travelled to Europe before? I remember my first time, everything is so friggin awesome, new, and exciting. The smells, the people, the language, the traffic, the sounds, the transits, the children, the colors, the FOOD! Soak it up the next couple of weeks!!!! LOVE that you mentioned Zeytin's and their authenticity. I absolutely loveeee that place. I had lunch there this week...mmmmmdelicious. I am so jealous of your excursions and adeventures.

    As far as Ancient History, yea, you are going to be quite spoiled. It truly truly is hard to grasp it all. It's almost overwhelming if you are truly conscious and passionate about it....and never take it for granted. PS Barb, I can literally hear you talking when I read your blog, LOVE IT!

    I am thinking a lot about you guys! BE SAFE, BE WELL, AND HAPPY TRAVELS.


    PS BARB: Do not go out alone okay!??? it worries me. But, I know my cousin Chris will certainly be watching over his gal.


    LOVE YA AND BE SAFE

    EVR

    ReplyDelete