Saturday, July 18, 2009

Three Weeks Down, One more to Go!

Wow, it's been awhile since we've posted! Well, maybe for you all it doesn't seem that way, but it seems like FOREVER for me. I swear, a month has never felt so long in my life! I really don't have a lot of interesting news, but felt that I needed to let everyone know that we're still doing pretty well and that we haven't forgotten anyone :)
As most of you know, I have been teaching intermediate-level English students, and Chris has been teaching beginner-level. Well, this past week they switched us to the opposite group. I have a whole new appreciation for the hard work Chris did in the first two weeks; this is HARD! I like to talk, and they don't understand most of what I say, even when it's simplified and spoken slowly. They are also a much younger group. Birth dates came up the first day and most of the class was born in the 1990s! OMG, I felt so old! Although I guess it does help with the whole teacher-student relationship. In the intermediate class, most of the students were my age-I'm friends on Facebook with half the class. I miss my students though, they were so much fun! We've tentatively planned a boat trip after the class is over. More practice for their English, and maybe I can finally pick up some Turkish!
I really can't believe that we're almost done with the course. I mean, it feels like yesterday was a week ago, and last week was a month ago, but still- a week from today I will be certified to teach, and be expected to come up with lesson plans every day and teach all day. whoa. can we say UNPREPARED?! On the other hand though, I couldn't take much more of the intensity of this course.
Homesickness is really kicking in for me. I'm sure it's exacerbated by exhaustion, stress, and the fact that it's hitting 100 degrees almost every day. But I really miss everyone a lot. The first time I get home to visit, we all need to get together for a wine party. You know who you are! :D Chris has been great with all my whining and crying though, bless him. A more patient man I couldn't have found...
On a happy note, those of us CELTA students staying the dorms have been having a blast together. Pretty much only on weekends, since the rest of the time we're too busy to even eat, but wow, weekends and Friday nights when we're over-tired are too much fun! I am beginning to think I should have been born in Britain, I LOVE their sense of humor. Very sarcastic.
Anyways, I am hoping that after next week I can get back to sending people personal emails and not just communicate through this blog. Thank you for all of you who have left comments and encouragement though, it's meant a lot to both of us.

Anyways, bedtime for me. Iyi Akşamlar (Good evenings, a common greeting long past evening, and one that I manage to slaughter every time I try to use it :D I also probably mis-spelled it, so feel free to correct it, Chris)

No comments:

Post a Comment