Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I Hate Moving

Well, it is my first foray into blogging. Chris and I both figured this would be the easiest way to keep everyone up-to-date on our plans, where we've been, what we've been doing, and the sights we have seen. We'll also try to keep it mildly entertaining. (If we can't manage that, we'll at least keep it short!)

For anyone who isn't aware, Chris and I will be moving to Izmir, Turkey on June 15 of this year. (Here's a map of where that is: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Izmir,+Turkey&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=29.634084,64.248047&ie=UTF8&ll=38.426832,27.129707&spn=0.057154,0.125484&z=13&iwloc=A ) We're not sure how long we will be here- if we like it, it might be a few years, if we don't, not as long as that. For the first month, we will be taking a course through Cambridge University to teach us how to teach the English language. Then we will be on our own to find jobs and teach Turks how to speak our language. We chose Turkey for a couple reasons: (1) all of that awesome ancient history stuff that both of us get geeked about and (2) it is actually possible to get work permits in Turkey, unlike most of Europe.

Preparations are coming along, although, as my title states, this is not high on my list of favorite things to be doing. We have a lot of stuff to decide what we're doing with it. I will be posting a list before too long on here of things up for grabs.

Anyways, enough whining about moving. I mostly just wanted to get this set up and get myself familiarized with this blogging business before we get over there. We'll always be open to questions, so ask away!

No comments:

Post a Comment